Copyright © AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary Department of New York
Friday, October 6th, 2017
Committee Meetings: 2:00 pm
Officer's Meeting 4:00 pm
Service Report Round Table 7:00 pm
Saturday, October 7th, 2017
Board of Directors (Gaveliers) Breakfast 8:00 am
General Body Meeting 9:30 am
Service Report Round Table 4:00 pm
* October 6-7, 2017 Fall SEC at Hilton Double Tree Inn, Binghamton, NY
* March 6-10, 2018 Spring NEC & Silver Helmet at BWI Marriott, MD
* March 23-24, 2018 Spring SEC at Hilton Double Tree Inn, Binghamton NY
* June 7-9, 2018 NY Annual Convention at Hilton Double Tree Inn, Binghamton, NY
* August 5-13, 2018 National Convention at Caribe-Royal Hotel, Orlando, FL
* October 5-6,2018 Fall SEC at Hilton Double Tree Inn, Binghamton, NY
FALL DEPARTMENT WIDE SERVICE PROJECT
Friends of Our Troops
Friends of Our Troops are a Not for Profit organization that has been in operation for 50 years. They distribute cards and letters from the public to U.S. Military and Personal active overseas and in hospitals.
This year AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary Department of NY will be writing Holiday Cards to be distributed through Friend of Our Troops.
On the inside of a holiday card, write a greeting and sign the letter from your Auxiliary (you may include your name as well if you’d like)
On the back of the card, include your Auxiliary’s address, as if you were addressing to top left corner of an envelope (if you have, you may also use pre-printed address labels)
DO NOT SUBMIT CARDS WITH ENVELOPES
Bring completed cards to the Fall SEC or mail to Laura Rose Bugaj, 53 Davey St, Buffalo, NY 14206.
Congratulations to Auxiliary 19 for Winning the 2017 AMVETS National Ladies Auxiliary Patriotic Vest Contest!"
What is a Project?
A project is an ACTIVITY that is carried out for a known NEED and it BENEFITS the recipients or enhances a program. ALL projects must have PRIOR approval by motion, second, and majority vote at a meeting.
Service programs are divided into five categories:
Child Welfare--A project benefiting children ONLY
Community Service--A project benefiting adults only or adults & children
Hospital--Projects at VA hospitals, community hospitals, medically staffed nursing homes.
Americanism--Projects promoting patriotism & citizenship and/or to bring cheer to active military personnel
Scholarship--Promotes learning and higher education, providing funding to established scholarships, other assistance to encourage education
WOMEN VETERANS-DID YOU KNOW?
1. Female Veterans die by suicide at nearly six times the rate as women with no military service records states Bill Morgan.
2. Triggers for suicide include the high incidence of military sexual trauma and traumatic stress.
3. The 1980 census was the first one that asked American Women about their Veteran status.
a. This caused Congress to address women about their Veteran status.
b. Congress began to inform women about the Veteran’s services and benefits they were entitled to.
4. 1983, the National Advisory Committee on Women Veterans was established.
a. Public Law 98-160 titled The Veterans Health Care Amendment of 1983.
b. The law mandated the VA to create an Advisory Committee on Women Veterans.
5. Today Women Veterans face homelessness, substance abuse issues, mental illness, and co-occurring disorders.
6. Women Veterans most often fall through the cracks or find it impossible to get the help they need.
7. Did you know that there are 8 Vietnam Women Veterans on the Vietnam Wall?
8. Women Veterans who served during the Vietnam War were not authorized to serve in combat- yet some of them were on the front lines.
Ladies to Ladies-Let’s help give these brave women of all branches the recognition they were due. Honor our Women Veterans by pushing for a change in laws and benefits that affect these women. Let US do our part and fight for what we know is right; Our Women Veterans did just that!
Candace Clemens AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary of N.Y. President 2016-2017
President’s Project- Women Veteran’s at the Bath VA
September 2017 Trivia Question
"To conduct myself in a manner that shall never cast any unfavorable reflection on AMVETS or AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary;" is found where and why is this extremely important?
AUXILIARY TRIVIA IS HERE!
AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary Department of NY Binders are currently for sale.
Copy of the National Manual
Copy of the National Constitution
Copy of the Department By-laws and Standing Rules
Binders are available for purchase for only $30.Please contact President Laura Rose Bugaj or Parlimentarian Rosalee Waid for Details!!!